I went to the beach earlier this week. It was the first visit of the year 2026, and although we are at the cusp of the end of summer, it couldn’t have been a better beach trip. It was the beach at Juan Dolio, in Dominican Republic, where I am from. We settled to lodge at a restaurant because it it included parking, beach access, a delicious meal, restrooms and bathrooms to change into after swimming. This combo is the combo when visiting the beach in DR because unless you are at a resort, you must be ready to pay for parking. pay for a table to sit at. pay for food and have to change out of your sticky wet and sandy clothes in your car. We arrived an hour after noon time. Our stomachs grumbled in hunger after the hour or so drive from the capital where my parents live (including traffic). Upon arrival, the sky had gotten a bit cloudy, and there was a moving breeze that launched away anything lightweight and ruffled the tiers of my long skirt. Once we settled into our tables, we placed our order of sea food, cheese yuca empanadas and natural juices (i ordered a strawberry). My husband wanted to order a burger, but my father placed a stumbling bloc and said '“you don’t bring sand to the beach”. He decided to let me order for us. I ordered a pound of sautéed Lobster and empanadas for the kid. When they came back to tell me that they didn’t have anymore lobster and that I needed to order something else, I ordered a half pound of garlic octopus and a hamburger. My husband pretended to be pious in front of my father. He fought me on my ordering the burger. I knew that is what he wanted and it became proof when he downed his burger within the first 5 minutes of getting it. fries included.
I am convinced that the little overwhelm at the beach is actually a good overwhelm, because it pushes the boundaries of the mind to hold on to any single thought, fight the holding and thus let it go.